aka... Here's what happens when you open your big mouth.

You may have noticed, I've been on a rant lately. First, it was the Disney characters that invaded our home (via the diapers… ta-da). Then, it was the costumes at Halloween. Is it because I'm evil and sadistic and I don't want my girls to have any fun? No, it's because I've been doing a lot of reading about marketing to kids.
But why, you ask? Don't you get enough of marketing and advertising at work?
To which I reply, Never! Don't you know me by now?!
After the Disney Incident, I went to our community ed group and said something that has been brewing on my mind for a while:
"Hey guys, how about a class that teaches kids about advertising… basic concepts like what's real and what's not…. And you know, someone in advertising—who's actually worked on campaigns directed at kids—could do it. Someone like me."
Of course, they loved the idea. So a few weeks later, I marched into our planning session with a tiered lesson outline geared towards three groups of kids: primary level, middle school and high school.
And about twenty minutes into our talk, it all changed: they loved the concept, but they thought it would work even better as a Parents' Academy session.
Crikes! You mean now I've got to talk to PARENTS? I've got to stand up in front of other adults, grown-up to grown-up, and come off like some kind of expert? That's a whole new ballgame, people. But sucker that I am, I accepted the challenge.
So now I'm developing a new outline. One that will give parents insider info on marketing strategies that target children, help them learn how to talk to their kids about the ads they see on TV and online, give them some insights as to why kids are the most coveted consumer group and how corporations are…. well, gee, you'll just have to attend my class now, won't you?
Stay tuned. The class is scheduled for April 2008.
PS: Ramona C: this one is for you. Do you remember?
No comments:
Post a Comment