

I am done napping in the day; the time we have left is too precious and fleeting.
Work is calling, and I will miss the sun.
I will miss receiving each day like an open gift card, a carefree wonder.
I will miss waking up in the morning, leisurely, and gathering my children about me like a soft blanket.
I will miss cooking for them and feeding them. Lingering in the gradual satisfaction of their powerful appetites, as the morning sun creeps further into the kitchen and across their faces.
I will miss facing every single day with plans for a new adventure.
Holding a small hand as we go walking.
And holding an even smaller hand as we sit rocking.
Waking up with my best friend and partner, and knowing we have another day to ourselves—undiluted by work and errands for as much as we choose.
And then falling asleep before we even have a chance to talk, one partner to another, but knowing the heart and mind of the other just the same.
And knowing that this is only temporary.
An entire day—
to eat, to walk, to bask in the sun, to fight, to fret, to think about tomorrow.
An entire day to raise our family together,
and another one just like it tomorrow.
Undefined by days of the week or deadlines.
I will miss the sun.
And the napping ends today.
There is still so much left to do,
like sitting here and watching my little ones nap instead.
No comments:
Post a Comment