
And now something completely different.
TinyE had her first encounter with eastern medicine today.
Personally, I looked into acupuncture and Chinese herbs after nearly 3 years of traditional western medicine failed to relieve my symptoms of reflux (chronic throat pain and laryngitis). A variety of medications, invasive testing (i.e. wearing a tube down my nose into my stomach for 24 hours) and even stomach surgery resulted in only sporadic, brief relief (all for a pretty penny, of course).
After the failed surgery, I was ready for anything. And within two weeks of acupuncture treatments and drinking (horrid) herb tea twice a day, my voice started to return and the pain was significantly diminished. I became a true, grateful believer.
Fast forward – I still have occasional treatments to keep the symptoms in check, and at this point in my life acupuncture has played a significant role in several areas of my health. So it hit me, when I was sitting there full of needles at my last treatment: what about TinyE?
It seemed so obvious, and I almost cried thinking that I've wasted six months by not doing it sooner. She's getting bi-weekly therapy from professionals and twice-daily therapy from her Daddy, all with the goal of improving motor function, range of motion and strength in her right arm and hand. It's a matter of muscles, nerves and doing what we can to stimulate growth and development in that arm.
If acupuncture is about opening energy channels, and if it's worked for me, why not her?
TinyE's Dad was hesitant at first, but I told him that I've seen other babies in the office for treatment. And I suggested that if she has a bad experience and we don't feel comfortable with it, we won't pursue it.
Unfortunately, timing her 9:00 appointment around morning nap and morning bottle was a bit tricky. And to top it off, she decided to wake up a half hour early today.
Still, we got to the office on time and TinyE delighted everyone she encountered. The doctor looked at her arm and we talked about what we're doing with therapy and the associated goals. Then, it was time for her treatment.
The wonderful thing about babies, of course, is they have no pre-conceived notions like "AHHHHH! NEEDLES!!!!!" So the first needle went in, for just a moment, and was then withdrawn. (Treatment for adults consists of leaving the needles in for 20-30 minutes, but babies only need minimal stimulation to achieve the same results, with their pure little systems.)
TinyE looked a little perplexed.
With the second, third and fourth needles, there was a bit more squirming and some tears.
Now – I know from experience, when I've got muscle tightness or some real blocked energy, the needles sting a little bit more. It can also create a sharp pulling sensation when the needle comes out – almost like the energy is bursting out of a tiny dam, where it's been built up. It doesn't necessarily hurt, it just feels weird. And I bet that would be alarming if you didn't understand what was happening. I think that may be what TinyE experienced when the needles stimulated her joints.
I feel awful that she cried, but she sure didn't cry as much as she did with vaccinations.
Tonight, Dad and I will assess. I really want to give it a shot – at least six sessions. And I admit, part of me is wishing for a miracle.
One day I want to wake up, walk in, and find that she's moving her arm and hand just as well as the other one. And I want to see her holding toys and reaching and grasping without any sign of weakness. It makes me want to try almost anything.
But mostly I want her to be as happy and healthy as she can be. And whatever happens, we'll be there for her.
I'll let you know how it goes.
No comments:
Post a Comment