Last week I finished reading The Historian, by Elizabeth Kostova. It was nearly a three-week read, but totally worth it, as I greatly appreciate intelligent and thoughtful versions of vampire lore. The reveal towards the end... phenomenal. I'd love to discuss it with anyone else who's read it.
Per a co-worker's recommendation, I then checked out The Professor and the Madman: A Tale of Murder, Insanity, and the Making of the Oxford English Dictionary, by Simon Winchester. Shaping up to be an awesome read.
Feeling hungry (in my head), I also checked out a few more books. This is not the first time I have wondered, "Does anyone else take a grocery bag into the library so they can carry out all the books they acquire?"
I am currently in possession of the following HCLIB items... which means, my plans for the holiday weekend are SET:
Lonesome Dove, by Larry McMurty. Because everyone needs to read at least one mammoth book during the summer. Better yet, make it a classic.
Pebble in the Sky, by Isaac Asimov. Science fiction by one of the greatest minds of our time -- need I say more?!
And for reading with my girls:
But, excuse me, that is my book, by Lauren Child. The story about a little girl and her favorite library book. Had to do it.
Harry and the lady next door, by Gene Zion. Good, long bedtime story.
Why do you cry?: not a sob story, by Kate Klise. 5-year old rabbit decides he's too big to cry! (this one made Dave cry...)
Pinkalicious, by Victoria Kann. Little girl who loves the color pink... eats pink cupcakes... turns pink. Already a favorite of TinyE.
Purplicious, by Victoria Kann. Same little girl... but not a favorite of mine. She gets teased by her friends for liking pink... I think this one was a little too sad for TinyE, even with the happy ending.
and
"One Puppet". Said puppet is a tiny, soft baby leopard that TinyE took to bed with her last night.
And with that, I must say, long live the public library. Is there any better place to spend a hot summer evening when you have two little girls crawling the walls at home?
No comments:
Post a Comment